Thursday, June 21, 2007

06/21/07: Pembroke, IL Returns...

Interesting turn in events. I've had numerous calls from a church in St. Anne/Pembroke, IL. Apparently, someone took out a paid advertisement in a paper out in Chicago and printed a copy of a posting I had on the website about why we don't help Pembroke anymore. Whoever paid for the advertisement literally used a photocopy of our website! It must have made for interesting conversation because my phone started ringing, emails began flying, letters arrived begging for us to reconsider.

Even more importantly, I received a phone call from Rev. Dyson, the very man who was in charge of helping Pembroke, IL when I founded Focus America. I was quick to point out to him that it took five years for me to get a return phone call (sarcasm).

He was going to look into what happened and why we never received any acknowlegements of our donations. I haven't heard back yet (hopefully it won't take another five years!). It does appear that the advertisement created a firestorm of controversy in the area. If it helps the people, that's wonderful. However, my attention remains on Appalachia for now.

3 comments:

KT said...

Good for you - Kentucky needs you and many others. They appear to be grateful and very appreciative per your blogs.
KT

Unknown said...

I say This: If you want to give GIVE!!!!!! We'll give and cry because you haven't been thanked. This parable fits: If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach that man how to fish you feed him for a lifetime. How can you expect poor people who never has had to give you a concret description of what they need. They will answer as you said they want material items. How about helping structure jobs, send businesses out to the area, job training. I was born and raised in Pembroke and my parents taught the 16 of us to say thank you even if we didn't want what was given.
PaulaStampley@ymail.com

H said...

Just to say.. I don't think the people of Pembrooke,IL even have enough money to buy a stamp to send a return "Thank You Letter", let alone a post office nearby, or $ for gas, or even a car to go to a post office!! These people probably never had a chance in their lives to ever thank anyone. It's probably the first camera they have ever used! If they ask for basket ball courts, give them that!! If they need shoes, give them shoes! They have not gravel or dirt roads, SAND roads!!! 3/4 of the houses occupied, dont have roofs or windows, let alone running water, trash pick up or electricity. If you ever went there, you mite understand! There are NO jobs there! Not for 50 miles!!! So, I would suggest putting yourself in their shoes.(O! Wait, they have no shoes)!!!! HP