Saturday, June 16, 2007

06/16/07: The Colorado Crew


I've had several comments and requests from people about the Colorado crew who met us in Kentucky. I was trying to surprise them but, apprarently, I had accidentally emailed the teacher so she knew that we were racing the clock to meet them there.

They arrived and had a tour of the facility. My first reaction was that they all looked like deer caught in the headlights. During the tour, I gave them a "pep" speech, telling them all that Stacey and I had seen and heard. Then, even though they had just driven in from Tennessee, we set them to work.


They were helpful in finishing the garden and even the chicken coop, which was a big relief to Stacey and me as we were done, at this point. I will admit, though, that I felt as though a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders when those two vans of 12 high school seniors and their two teachers pulled in. It was almost cleansing to have companionship and help. While I never mind rolling up my sleeves to dive into the projects, it was nice to have new energy, especially after the emotional roller coaster we had been on in the preceeding days.

Besides cleaning up the inside and outside of the mission, they cleared out a backroom that had so much stuff in it, you couldn't see the floor or walls. When it was finally cleaned out, they washed the floor FIVE times to get it clean. I give them a lot of credit for that task...I'm not certain I could have done it...at least not without complaining a bit.

The teacher, Anne Marie B., was truly wonderful with the kids. I'm sure that it wasn't easy to bring them to such a remote and disadvantaged community. But the kids were great sports, hard workers, and definitely "got it" when it came to why they were there helping these people. I was proud of them and only wished that I could have spent more time with them.

3 comments:

KT said...

Great blog. It sure looks like the storeroom for food is well stocked. Did you bring all that food with you? Where did the Colorado Crew sleep and eat? How long did they stay and did they feel like they accomplished something?

Annemarie Brown said...

The trip was outstanding on many levels. That food was delivered while we were there and was one of regular shipments that the center receives. Most of it was given out that Friday to recipient families. We were in Myra for 7 days and ended up staying in a motel down the highway about 20 minutes. We had hoped to stay closer to or at the center, but logistics didn't work out for us this trip. We're hoping to post some of the student reflections soon. It was a great learning experience that will live with the students for many years.

KT said...

I look forward to your student reflections as well as your own. You and your students should be commended for what you all did.