Tuesday, October 02, 2007

So Happy to be part of Focus America!

I am so excited that Shelly has asked me to post at her blog. Focus America has been and will continue to be a Godsend to the people in the Appalachia and especially to the Manna from Heaven Mission. Shelly has wonderful programs set up and I love the Project Seeds mission. This community can learn to help themselves by growing their own vegetables and canning them. Shelly also expanded the program by adding livestock....chickens and pigs. The members in the community can raise their own chickens for eggs and for meat. Shelly recently purchased a incubator that will aid them in increasing their "chick" population. I wanted to add that my children generously gave me the funds to purchase an additional incubator - a R Com 20 that Lois should have received. I was assured by the manufactirer that Lois can start in February with hatching her 'chicks' and handling them out to the people of Myra.

I spoke to Shelly about adding Turkey's to their livestock population and I am investigating the most economical way of doing this. More will follow.

Halloween is just around the corner. I have sent close to 900 Halloween coloring books. 200 regular coloring books, 300 Holiday coloring books and 1500 boxes of crayons. I continue to search for more Holiday coloring books.

I also sent them 17 boxes of toiletry items that include manicure/pedicure sets, nail polish, bath soaps, bath pillows, hair towels and 3 boxes of gift bags, wrap and tissue paper. Parents can make up "beauty bags" for the upcoming Holidays for their girls. As Shelly mentioned. shipping is a problem and she is looking for donations to off set the shipping costs of all the items that she has sent and for all future items.

I think for now, I will continue to focus on Project Seeds. I was able to purchase a few hundred pairs of gardening gloves that I will be sending them. I will continue to search for gardening tools and hoses etc. These items will give them the tools that they need to succeed in their efforts to better themselves.

Thank you so much Shelly for allowing me to be a part of your dream. I applaud you for starting Focus America.

1 comment:

Shelly Zimmerman said...

Ellen,
You are too much! :) You make me tear up because I thank YOU for re-energizing me. It's not easy doing this and there are few accolades. The peak of this entire experience was last May during my trek to KY when my sister almost died and the people helped US through it (after we went there to "save" them). There is much to learn in the world. We can learn it from these folks as well as from the people of the world like you, who believe and support!

Hugs,

Shelly