Thursday, May 01, 2008

05/01/08: NJ and Myra, KY

The kids are at it again, collecting vegetable seeds to send to Myra, KY. Both kids asked for seeds for their birthdays. In addition, we are starting a gently-used school supply drive for end-of-year school supplied from the local schools. Several kids are jumping on board for this effort and will collected the remnants that would otherwise be tossed out but are still in good shape!

I am very impressed with all that Ellen is doing with the Myra community! Bravo and kudos!!!! I have tears in my eyes reading all of these notes that have been posted to the blog. I have been so involved in my own geographic area that I haven't been monitoring the happenings from Maryland. Wow, Ellen. YOU ARE AMAZING AND TRULY BLESSED!!!!!

Big news coming up for next year. It appears that my college will be creating a Sociology course to have the students learn about Myra, KY. It's a course called "Living on the Edge". We will be teaching the students all about Appalachia and explore the long economic disaster known as American poverty. The plan is to actually take the students out to Myra, KY in 2009. I know it's a long way away but...I'd rather get back out there in 2009 than 2010. :)

On a more fun note, my daughter's Daisy Troop learned about Myra, KY where I showed them my photo book and talked about the community (with special commentary on Destiny and Kirsten). The 5 and 6 years old really loved it...but the parents really jumped on board.

After reading about all that Ellen has achieved with Heifer, my box of seeds seems small in comparison. I'm motivated to continue my work. Thank you, Ellen and all of the Focus America volunteers throughout the nation!

Shelly Zimmerman, Founder

No comments: