Sunday, May 20, 2007

05/20/07: The Mission

The drive was very dangerous, with single lane roads and steep mountains. But it was really pretty. From a community of hills and trees, we truly enjoyed the mountains and even called home to Kevin L. to ask if he knew the difference between a mountain and a hill. We finally settled on 1000 ft. makes a mountain, less than that makes a hill. Of course, we don't know for certain so feel free to advise otherwise.
And so we arrived at the mission. I must admit that, at first, I was most apprehensive and, frankly, disappointed when we arrived. The mission wasn't what I imagined...the building wasn't a clean, Florence Nightingale type building but a rectangular building built of cinderblock and full of so much crap that two dumpsters couldn't salvage it.

My sister kept a stiff upper lip and we dove right into the work. But we both thought that the pastor and his wife would be like "us"...well-to-do folks who cared about the poor...not actual members of the actual society in which we wanted to help! I have to confess that my sister was the most amazing travel companion. If we had thought that Leanne would give us the chuckles along the way, I tell you that Stacey kept me in stitches the entire journey, even during the darkest moments.

The journey itself was most interesting and beautiful. The hills are, indeed, beautiful as the man in the Shocky's Gas Station told us ("Dem mountains are be-u-t-ful but I prefer the beeches in Miami"). Of course, I asked Stacey for clarification: Did he say beaches or bi...es?". We weren't sure but carried on our mission.

Once we arrived at the mission, we assessed their needs and began by buying supplies to build a garden (posts, wire, tools, irrigation hoses, seeds, and plants) as well as the chicken coop (wire, nails, hammers, boards, etc.). Within hours, I was tilling the garden soil and Stacey was building the chicken coop. It was truly amazing to dive right in and have these people that I have dealt with for over two years become more than friends...they became family.

In addition, I have to spend one moment to thank my Morris County friends who provided the funding for this excursion. I cannot thank Rosemary, Denise, and Brian enough for their donations were used 100% for these projects. My father and brother-in-law's company, Panurgy, paid for the gasoline, and my dear friend Ellen Murphy supplied twelve or so cases of gardening tools. There are many others to thank but I must thank these folks in particular (and my dear Leanne and Anne Marie for their behind-the-scenes support via parties or church associations!).

Regardless of the rest of the story, Stacey and I left Appalachia with a HUGE garden and very large chicken coop that was funded by these three Morristown residents. And we met the recipients of the goods who thanked us profusely for the donations. An entire community said GOD BLESS YOU.

3 comments:

KT said...

If the mission is so bad....what are you going to do to help them make it better. I would gladly help. Money for a plumber???? Also what happened to the group from Colorado? Did they make chicken coops and rebuild homes? Did they even get to come after all? Do they need more than 50 new chicks. I thought you collected from the college and a donor in Maryland...are you sending more later? Is it just the mission growing food or are they handing out the seeds and tools to other's in the community??????
Does the preacher and his family live at the mission?

Shelly Zimmerman said...

Hi KT, thanks for commenting. The group from Colorado did wonders (I will post about them later this weekend). They built a pig pen, helped organize the mission, created the garden, and finished the coop. We do not need more chicks just yet. We used the donations for buying those chicks, starter feed, fencing, poles, and wood for the coop. Yes, they are handing out seeds and tools to the local families. I personally helped them. :)

KT said...

Looking forward to reading about the kids from Colorado and how they fared. Reading your blogs has given me a real sense of the community there in Kentucky. It is a real shame that people live like that is this country. How can I help you to help them? can I send them some food? What type of food do they need?